Music of Our Years

So Semester 1, Year 1. Long road ahead and makes you a bit nostalgic thinking about the end of high school again. Well one of the most important things coming from school that I brought through with me was my music. Yeah, people say that I am a purist. It's true though. I love music and love to go back to the roots of popular music back in the 1920s. I love the crackle at the sound of the old LP's, 45's and 78's. Might not appeal to what everyone else is looking for in a record but that authentic, pure sound that sends you right to their living room or recording studio makes me shiver with excitement every time I put the needle on. It's time to look back at the most important music that I can take with me through university. Plato once said, “Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” I can't think of anything better to describe the impact of music on my life. Music makes you cry, laugh, think and dance. For those that appreciate great music as much as myself, I'm sure they would agree with me that there are two kinds of people in the universe - lyric people and melody people. Quite simply, lyric people are those that always grab the record sleeve once they open their new vinyl or CD and read deep into the poetry before them. On the other side, all melody people need is a tune to dance or sing to, and we all know these kind of people. I can't help but always point all the good and bad things that have happened to me back to The Cure. The band from Blackpool, whom have passed through the cold age of UK post-punk into Gothic and alternative rock have endured the test of time, still going strong after 37 years. Robert Smith and company manage to bring out every emotion through their huge discography of work, from happiness to depression and everything in between. You only have to look at a few different songs to see how good The Cure is. I always fall back to the 1989 record, Disintegration, and in particular the track Prayers for Rain; quite possibly the saddest song recorded by the group. Yet, you only need to look 24 month prior to this record to witness their most "poppy" record to date and the regular radio hit Just Like Heaven () and then you really understand how brilliant The Cure really is. They got me through a lot of hard times and kept the good times going for even longer. Do you have a band or artist that got you through your life (so far)?

0 comments:

Post a Comment