Popular Music Categorisation

So.You youngens out there who are listening to the new and ‘hip’ music of Today’s modern Western world think you know all about it. You don’t.
I admit. I am of the younger generation. I mean, I just got out of school. But let me tell you, after collecting close to 1000 records and CDs combined I know a fair bit. Of which about 100 or so comes from the last decade i.e. Since 2000.

My disgust is mainly directed at the musical direction and education the youth of today’s society. This has been botted up for a long time but it starts with a close and long-term friend of mine. She’s quite intelligent and knows enough about some of the better musical acts of rock (in particular) which gives her enough respect to loan CDs. However, what happened one day almost deprived her access to my stuff. Almost. While at university, there is this radio/stero thing that plays these same 40ish pop songs of which some I love. The main and possibly only one now that I think of it is, Friday I’m in Love by The Cure.

Back to the story and Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes is being blasted on the not so good speakers. She starts tapping her foot and says, get this, ‘Mm, i love this song. It’s Smoke on the Water right?’
My face drops in extreme disappointment and frustration for a huge mistake. One of the most iconic riffs in rock history has been mistaken for a Jack White piece of pop writing where he wrote ot while mucking around on the E string of his guitar.

More angst awaits with more stories lined up…

0 comments:

Post a Comment